Tuesday 8 September 2015

Review: Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella.


Book: Finding Audrey

Author: Sophie Kinsella

Pages: 288

Read On: iPad

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days

Plot Summary: An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

General Thoughts: I used to be a massive Sophie Kinsella fan and read everything she ever put out. The shopaholic series was one of my favourites. That sadly changed as time went on and I grew to really judge and despise Becky Bloomwood! 

But I still like Kinsella's humour and writing style and when I heard she came out with a young adult book I had to give it a go! 

Things I Liked: 

1. The writing was great and funny and poignant and very good. Like I said I've always enjoyed Kinsella's writing and her sense of humour. Her books have always made me chuckle and this one was a very enjoyable reading experience. 

2. The anxiety and allied aspects of mental illness is dealt with so deftly in this book. It remains light hearted and approachable but conveys the many challenges of suffering from anxiety so well. 

3. I really loved that this book being a Young Adult book was actually about a 14 year old! I am a little sick of most YA books being about 18 yr olds! It was refreshing to read a YA book about an actual proper young adult and not an adult. 

4. I loved the characters  in this book...all of them. They were well crafted and memorable and seemed real and genuine. 

5. Audrey was  such a wonderful person to get to know. The way she deals with her issues and how she handles herself...was all very interesting. 

6. The family in this book like most families created by Kinsella are wonderful and very lovable. 

7. The love-story unfolds in a real and believable manner. Linus came across as such a nice guy and so good for Audrey. 

8. I really appreciated that this book didn't show that falling in love and finding a buy makes Audrey fine. Mental illness doesn't work that way! If only it did. While Linus helps Audrey in coming out of her shell...he doesn't fix her! 

Things I Didn't Like:

There is a mention of some incident that happened in Audrey's old school that triggered her current state. There are hints dropped about what the incident possibly was but we aren't told exactly what it was...and that was a little unsatisfactory! 

Rating: 4/5 


1 comment:

CookieCrumbsInc. said...

Its been a long, LONG time since I read floss... Maybe this can be my next :)