Saturday 2 May 2015

Book Review: My Lawfully Wedded Husband and Other Stories by Madhulika Liddle.


Book: My Lawfully Wedded Husband and Other Stories

Author: Madhulika Liddle

Pages: 225

Read On: Paperback

How Long it Took Me To Read: 1 day

Plot Summary: Twelve spine-chilling stories from a writer whose sleight of hand with black humour is hard to match. In A Brief Lesson in Trust, Geeti learns the hard way that the most reliable girl in school is not always what she seems; in St. George and the Dragon, Mr George, the archetypal government clerk finds a fiendishly clever way to outsmart his corrupt boss while The Howling Waves of Tranquebar takes us to this tiny Danish settlement of yore where an innocuous-looking beer mug still has strange powers of destruction.

These and other stories in this collection entertain, amuse – but always end with a twist in the tale that leaves a few goosebumps.

General Thoughts: I already own three other books by this author and my sister has read and really enjoyed them. The Muzaffar Jung books sound very interesting and I plan on reading them soon!

Things I Liked: 

1. Stories with a twist! Seriously, what's not to love? I love me some tales with a twist. And I read the first few stories and only then read the plot synopsis on the back of the book, so the twists were a huge surprise to me.

2. I loved the writing. It was very, very good!

3. The length of the stories were perfect. I hate short stories that are anything but short.

4. The stories in this book were all so different and set all over India. Most Indian writers, even short story ones just stick to one region but I liked the variety in this book.

5. I liked pretty much every single story in this book.

6. The pace of the stories were really good too!

Things I Didn't Like: 

Hmmm...since all of them had twists...after a point one could see the twist coming. Perhaps a good way to read this book would be to dip in and out and not read it in one go, which I did...but still a very enjoyable read.

Rating: 4/5

Buy it Here: 

                         Amazon

                       Flipkart


2 comments:

kulpreet yadav said...

Interesting review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dustedoff said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and your review made my day. :-)