Wednesday 25 February 2015

Review: The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon.


Book: The Winter People

Author: Jennifer McMahon

Pages: 317

Read On: My Kindle

How Long it Took Me To Read: 2 days

Plot Summary: West Hall, Vermont, has always been a town of strange disappearances and old legends. The most mysterious is that of Sara Harrison Shea, who, in 1908, was found dead in the field behind her house just months after the tragic death of her daughter, Gertie. Now, in present day, nineteen-year-old Ruthie lives in Sara's farmhouse with her mother, Alice, and her younger sister, Fawn. Alice has always insisted that they live off the grid, a decision that suddenly proves perilous when Ruthie wakes up one morning to find that Alice has vanished without a trace. Searching for clues, she is startled to find a copy of Sara Harrison Shea's diary hidden beneath the floorboards of her mother's bedroom. As Ruthie gets sucked deeper into the mystery of Sara's fate, she discovers that she's not the only person who's desperately looking for someone that they've lost. But she may be the only one who can stop history from repeating itself.

General Thoughts: I first heard of this book at the end of 2014, it made to several of the best books of 2014. And a horror book it was just my cup of tea. I looked for this book high and low and finally got it on my Kindle. I am glad I waited and read it recently. I read it under my quilt on very cold nights and that just added to my enjoyment.

Things I Liked: 

1. The writing was really good, for a thriller especially the writing was good.

2. There are three story lines in this book and all of three plots are equally interesting and grabbed my attention, I wasn't bored with any of story lines.

3. I loved Ruthie and her investigation into the past and where her mother has vanished.

4. The 1908 bits were simply fantastic and I loved those bits best.

5. The book is creepy, weird and spooky- all good things!

6. Sara and her husband Martin and their story was just scary but also heart-breaking.

7. I loved the ending. How all the story-lines are resolved and come together in the end was rather nice.

8. The pace of this book was fantastic, I never wanted to put this book down, even when I couldn't keep my eyes open!

9. The atmosphere in this book was perfect, dark, gloomy, intense and just wonderful!

10. All the characters, and there are quite a few characters in this book, were fleshed out and developed very well. I felt like we got to know all of the characters very well.

Things I Didn't Like: 

Hmmm...the main twist..was a bit obvious-ish. The perpetrator was also highly guessable. I would have enjoyed a slightly more shocking twist.

But overall I really enjoyed this book.

Rating: 4/5 

No comments: