Friday 26 July 2013

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith. + A Mini Romance Rant!


General Thoughts: Something about this book made me plain mad. Not that the book had anything wrong with it. The thing is this whole meet a cute boy on a plane thing is the biggest and worst lie ever told. I've been flying alone since I was 13 years old, and not once...not one single time have I met even a semi-decent guy. The only men I find next to me on flights are old, balding, snoring and once even drooling. i kid you not, once on a flight the man next to me fell asleep and started drooling!!!! For a moment I seriously thought the man was dead and poked him in the arm and shrieked when he woke up with a start. 

So as much as I wanted to enjoy and love this story, I couldn't help think of all the flights and all the disappointments they've brought. On my last flight, the guy next to me kept fighting with me for the arm rest! He only budged when I elbowed him sharply in ribs. Romantic..NOT! 

The only time I saw a cute guy was while waiting for three hours at Calcutta airport in a somewhat empty spot...I saw this cute guy and he smiled at me. Finally, I thought, a cute guy at an airport, the Travel Gods were finally taking a shine towards me. I should have known better, soon enough a young woman and a toddler joined said guy and also smiled widely at me. The cute guy had a wife and child in tow! The Travel Gods hated me still. 

So with all these raging thoughts in my mind it's hard to read a book about a plane romance and feel connected to the story. 

Book: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

Author: Jennifer E. Smith

Pages: 236

How Long it Took Me Read: 1 day.

Plot Summary: Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 

Characters: Hadley and Oliver are the main characters. We spend most time with Hadley and inside her angsty mind. Hadley is still dealing with her parents broken marriage and the anger she feels towards her father for abandoning her and her mother for his new life in London. She is angry and unhappy for most of the book and smiles only when she and Oliver are talking. 

Oliver on the other hand is more sorted out and calm, he is slightly mysterious though and his reason for going to London is a bit of mystery. He is charming and funny and all things a good romantic lead should be. 

What I Liked: The basic premise of the book- two people meeting on a plane and falling in love. And a story told in only 24 hours. 

What I didn't Like: I wasn't a big fan of Hadley, she was whiny for most part and little to angst-ridden. 

I also didn't like most of the action happened off the plane and spilled over to the next day...not that anything was particularly wrong with it, but I had presumed there'd be more conversation and connection on the flight. 

Will You Like It? If you fancy  a quick sweet read this might be a good book to read. 

Rating: 3/5 

No comments: