Sunday 23 June 2013

Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


Book: Gone Girl

Author: Gillian Flynn

Pages: 432

How long it took me to read: 2 days

Plot Summary: Amy and Nick Dunne, both out-of-work journalists/writers, who used to live in New York, are making a fresh go of their marriage in Nick's hometown of North Carthage, Missouri.  Things seem alright in their marriage- to an outsider- but then one summer morning- on the day of Nick and Amy's fifth wedding anniversary, Amy Dunne vanishes. As the cops and the media start hounding Nick and suspecting him of doing away with Amy, the true story of their marriage unfolds via Amy's diary and Nick's recollections.
So, basically, this book has all the makings of a great psychological thriller- evasive husband who is having an affair with a younger woman, beautiful, rich and intelligent wife who is missing under suspicious circumstances and a small town that is agog with curiosity and excitement and are all but openly blaming Nick for doing away with Amy. But is Amy really dead? Moreover, is Amy really who she seems via her diary? Or is Nick who he seems in his own recollections? This book raises a lot of questions about reliable narrators. Though, no where in the philosophical and beautiful way that The Sense of an Ending does.

Characters: Well, there are the key protagonists, obviously. Nick Dunne- small town golden boy and success story. He had made quite a name for himself before getting laid off and deciding to move back to his hometown to start afresh by co-owning a bar with his twin sister- Margo. Then there is Amy- the only child of two rich and successful children's book authors. Totally Type A and controlling and bizarre, and more as we find out as the story progresses.

Without spoiling the book for those who want to read it, I will say that neither Nick nor Amy connected with me. I couldn't empathize with them or relate to them or even feel sorry for them. They are pathetic and disgusting and so uninspiring that reading about them and their, fictitious lives, made me want to get into the book and slap both of them!

Well, one might say that eliciting such an intense reaction from the readers is probably a win for the book and the author. Maybe it is. If Ms. Flynn's objective was to get readers pissed off with her key protagonists, then, well, she has done a great job by writing such characters. However, call me simplistic, but I prefer books where I can connect with or empathize with, at least, one character. I like to put myself in the characters' shoes and imagine how I would react if I were do.. what would I do.. what would I say etc. However, Gone Girl gave me none of that gratification. I don't think it is meant to, to be fair, but it was disappointing. Even within the psychological thriller genre, one does find characters that one can empathize with. In this book- no one, nada, zip, zilch.

In fact, as a reader, one tends to feel frustrated, annoyed and, even, betrayed as one learns more and more about what really happened to Amy and what Nick's role in all of it was.

Other small fry characters like Margo, Amy's over-bearing parents, Desi- Amy's high school/college boyfriend- were all fairly under-developed and insignificant. 

What I Liked: Now, let me say this without confusing anyone who is still with me reading this review- I liked the concept of the book. The concept of Gone Girl is about the inside-story or the anatomy of a marriage and how no one but the people in a marriage know its truth. The story is also about two narrators that are not the most trustworthy and who keep lying about the past and the events leading up to Amy's disappearance.

Though, I will say this, the inside story of a marriage bit is scary in case of this marriage. So scary.

What I didn't like: Read the 'Characters' section above. There was lots to not like in this book.

While I liked the concept (which is what made me pick up the book), I did not like the execution of it at all. For an avid crime/thriller reader and viewer, I found the book very predictable! I knew the moment the woman vanished- she was pregnant as well- that it will not be something as straightforward as the husband offing her, because, that my friends, would make this book a re-telling of the tragic Laci Peterson story! So, it was pretty obvious what was going on.

Also, to the keen reader, there were some pretty obvious clues in Amy's "diary" that was left behind and that the police were using as evidence to nail Nick for her disappearance. So, I don't get what the big hype behind this book is. This is an obvious story with a very obvious "twist".

General Thoughts: Gillian Flynn is much celebrated because her books are "dark" and are psychological thrillers, however,  it is appalling how poorly researched they are! I mean, any avid Criminal Minds or Law and Order viewer will find some 10 rookie mistakes in this book relating to police procedure and investigation! It is a shame, really, for someone who is so celebrated to make such basic mistakes like not accounting for cell phone tracking or basic DNA analysis etc.

Will you like it: I am not sure if you will, to be honest. This is the kind of book that has highly polarized reactions on Good Reads. If you like reading dark books about dark people, you may enjoy this.

Rating: 2/5

3 comments:

Mehreen Shaikh said...

I just read and reviewed this book. I thought I was the only one who was disappointed. LOL . The number of people who raved about it really elevated my expectations.

Pooja T said...

I honestly don't get the extreme hype and adulation this book gets. It was so average! I just don't get it at all!

Sheetal said...

I am agree with you Pooja I am in the mid of this book and it is frustrating me and I am feeling like when it will end???? I have spend my hard earn money on this book so for namesake I am reading this book